WWE news: Fans are sharing CM Punk’s promo with Vince McMahon from 2011
Fans of WWE have today used former wrestler CM Punk’s memorable pipebomb promo in relation to a number of staff and wrestlers that were released on Wednesday.
The promo in question involved Vince McMahon and CM Punk discussing a new contract for the latter, and the relevancy of it now is pretty scary, especially considering it was shot way back in 2011.
CM Punk said: “I’ve had friends, very talented friends, work for this company and be unceremoniously fired!”
Following McMahon’s suggestion that they deserved it, Punk replied: “You don’t know what makes a superstar in 2011, you don’t know what these people want. You want to punish people for liking professional wrestling. I am CM Punk and I am the voice of the voiceless and you will apologise.”
Another promo that has resurfaced during this time featured Punk saying to his rival at the time John Cena: “I hate this idea that you’re the best, however, there is one thing that you are better at than I am and that is kissing Vince McMahon’s ass.”
Punk would not stop there, however, and would go on to say: “I’d like to think that this company would be better after Vince McMahon’s dead, but the fact is that it is going to be taken over by his idiotic daughter, his son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family.”
Subsequently, Punk’s microphone was cut off before he could finish.
On Wednesday, fans were coming to terms with the news that high profile competitors such as legendary former WWE champion and Olympic gold medal winner Kurt Angle were being released.
Angle had been working backstage as a producer for the company since his retirement match at WrestleMania 35 in April 2019.
Other names included former tag team champions and members of AJ Styles’ Bullet Club Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows.
This came as somewhat of a surprise as both Anderson and Gallows had most recently taken part in one of WrestleMania 36’s most iconic matches, the Boneyard Match between The Undertaker and AJ Styles.
Arguably, however, one of the most shocking releases was referee Mike Chioda, who was the longest serving referee in the company’s history and had been with the WWE since 1989 and officiated high profile matches such as The Rock versus John Cena back in 2012.
While other former champions such as Lio Rush, Rusev and Zack Ryder were among those also let go by the company.
WWE have said following these releases that they needed to make budget cuts in response to the coronavirus pandemic, including talent expenses. The cuts are estimated to save the company $4 million monthly and improve cash flow by $140 million dollars.
Fans subsequently, however, pointed out on social media the high earnings of part-time competitors such as Brock Lesnar, who earned a reported $10 million dollars in 2019, Cain Velasquez received $5 million, while most recently Goldberg returned for just one month earned a reported $3 million; costs that could have perhaps have been spared!
- Hall of Famer Howard Finkel passes away aged 69
- Superstars react to company’s release spree
- Seth Rollins upset by ‘negativity’ and ‘hostility’ aimed at WWE
- Vince McMahon