Councillors allegedly stealing food parcels during lockdown
“The department of Social Development in the City has been directed to do further work in tracing those families and in extending social support.
“Should the claims be proved, those responsible for the action will be called to account,” Makhubo said.
News24 previously reported that residents were left homeless last week when the Red Ants tore down brick and shack houses.
Makhubo on Sunday tried tried to visit the area, but was barred from doing so due to a protest by disgruntled residents.
Residents had also tried to take the City to court over the demolitions, in a bid to order the City to rebuild or compensate residents whose houses were destroyed.
However, their urgent application was dismissed by the Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg on Saturday.
“The court (as presided over by Justice Tsoka) duly accepted the evidence provided by the City that it had not evicted any occupiers but instead prevented an on-going land invasion and demolished incomplete and unoccupied structures,” Makhubo previously said.
On Monday, Makhubo said the City had informed the provincial and national government about the increase in “land invasions”, and was now waiting for direction on how to contain them during the lockdown.